Saturday, July 28, 2007

Went for a 450km drive this morning

As I have to do 1000kms to run in the new engine I decided to get up at 4.15am this morning and go for a drive. I hadn't decided where I was going to go so just jumped in and started heading towards the city. As I was driving along I thought it would be good to go inland a bit before heading over to the coast and back to home in Duncraig so I headed towards Armadale and when I got to the Brookton Highway I turned left and headed towards Brookton. I ended up turning right at Brookton and heading back to Perth via Narrogin and Williams. All up I did approx 450kms and as I have already done approx 50kms I am now half way there with the run-in.

The engine is running real sweet and feels really strong. Lumpy did a great job with the run-in tune and he limited the revs to 5500rpm on the Power FC just in case I couldn't wait and decided to go a bit silly! For those of you who don't know what entails a good run-in you are not alone. The only experience I have had with running in engines is with aircraft. We had to replace the engine in our Cessna 210 a few years ago when it spun a main bearing (and thats another interesting story as it happened in-flight!) so I read a great article tiltled "Don't baby your engine" (go to http://www.casa.gov.au/fsa/2002/sep/36-38.pdf if you want a good read). It's a great article and makes a lot of sense so what I did was cruise along at 110kmh in 5th at 3300rpm then dropped it back to 4th bringing the revs up to 3800rpm and cruise at that for a couple of k's and then revving it out to 5500rm before changing back into 5th (going a little faster than 110kmh!). I did this repeatedly and also made sure to wind it out in every gear when starting off. Next step is an oil change and then another 500kms to finish the run-in.

Not sure where to this time but I'll let you know.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home